At Barrs Court Primary, we are committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, sexual orientation, age or socio-economic background. We are determined to develop a culture of inclusion and diversity in which all those connected to the school feel proud of their identity, feel a sense of belonging and are empowered to participate fully in school life.
Equality in Teaching and learning
We provide all our pupils with the opportunity to succeed and to reach the highest level of personal achievement.
We do this by:
- Ensuring equality of access for all pupils and preparing them for life in a diverse society
- Using materials that reflect the diversity of the school, population and local community without stereotyping
- Promoting attitudes and values that challenge any discriminatory behaviour or prejudice
- Providing opportunities for pupils to appreciate their own culture and celebrate the diversity of other cultures
- Seeking to involve all parents in supporting their child’s education.
- Utilising teaching approaches appropriate for the whole school population which are inclusive and reflective of our pupils.
Objective 1: To develop a curriculum that represents our diverse community.
Why we have chosen this objective: The level of diversity in the community we serve is increasing; we want to ensure everyone is represented in the curriculum we deliver to ensure all pupils feel empowered and have a sense of belonging.
Objective 2: To plan community events that encourage all members of the community to attend.
Why we have chosen this objective: We have an active and welcoming PTFA and Governing body that can reach out to specific groups encouraging those with protected characteristics to become involved and leaders across our community.